Ube (pronounced OO-BAE) is a rich purple yam with a mild, sweet taste. You might have seen delectable ube desserts in your social media feed lately, perhaps the form of one of those brilliantly purple cheesecakes, ice cream cones, or donuts making the rounds? A Filipino staple dessert ingredient, ube is finally starting to take the food scene – and foodie Instagram – here in North America by storm. It’s high time.
Because we’re nuts for sugar free treats here at Zevia, we love ube’s healthy properties. Though this tuber has a sweet taste that lends well to dessert making, an entire ube yam (which can be broken up into two or more servings) has less than a single gram of sugar. To boot, it’s also packed with fiber, vitamins, and antioxidants. When baked, ube turns into a beautiful, distinctive shade of violet. The color of ube is so deep and unique, it looks like food coloring – except it’s 100% all natural.
One of our favorite ways to enjoy ube is in a breakfast smoothie. Easy to make, low in calories, and zero sugar added, this ube and cream smoothie is a delicious way to kick start the day!
Ingredients (makes 4 servings):
- 3 small ube yams, cubed
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 can Zevia Cream Soda
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ cup ice
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Bake cubed ube for 35 minutes.
- Let cool in refrigerator.
- When cool, put ube cubes in a blender.
- Add 1 frozen banana.
- Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, and ½ teaspoon of nutmeg.
- Add 1 cup of coconut milk and 1 can of Zevia Cream Soda.
- Add ½ cup of ice and blend until smooth.
- Pour into glasses and enjoy!