Roses are red, violets are blue, stevia is sweet, and so are you! Enjoy a sweet treat this Valentine’s Day, without the sugar. Sweetened with fruit, stevia, and Strawberry Zevia, these strawberry vanilla donuts don’t need added sugar to be sweet as can be. Bake them for your sweetie or hog them all to yourself. We won’t judge.
Recipe courtesy of Luxe and the Lady
Ingredients (makes about 15 heart shaped donuts)
Strawberry and Vanilla Donut Ingredients:
- nonstick spray
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 7 tbsp granulated Stevia in the Raw (equivalent of 3/4 cup sugar)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp pure strawberry extract
- 1/2 cup butter (melted)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup Strawberry Zevia
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh strawberries
Strawberry & Cream Glaze Ingredients:
- 1 cup Stevia in the Raw (equivalent of 1 cup confectioner’s sugar)
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder or corn starch
- 3 tbsp Strawberry Zevia
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter (melted)
- 4 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tbsp freeze dried strawberries, finely crushed
Pig Design Ingredients (optional):
- 30 whole raw almonds
- fruit leather
- 1/8 cup Lily’s stevia-sweetened dark chocolate chips
1: Preheat oven to 425°F
2. Spray donut pan with non-stick spray
3. Whisk dry ingredients in a mixing bowl
4. In a separate bowl, combine the vanilla and strawberry extract, eggs, butter, Zevia, and yogurt, and stir until the mixture is smooth
5. Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry until combined, then gently mix in the fresh strawberries
6. Scoop the batter into the donut pan (tip: cut the corner off a Ziplock bag and use that to pipe the batter into the donut pan)
7. Bake for 4-7 minutes. Do not over bake – it is actually better to under bake a bit because we are not using sugar (this keeps the donuts from cracking and becoming too dry). Allow to cool for 5 minutes in the pan, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
8. To make the glaze, pulse the stevia with the arrowroot starch in a food processor until finely milled. This will be your confectioner’s sugar substitute.
9. In a bowl, whisk the stevia confectioner’s sugar substitute with melted butter, Strawberry Zevia and crushed strawberries. Whisk in the heavy cream one tablespoon at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
10. Dip your donuts in the glaze and place back on the cooling rack to set.
11. OPTIONAL: Turn your donuts into pigs! For the ears, dip the ends of two almonds into your previously made donut glaze and carefully insert them on either side of a donut. Allow to set for a minute or two before dipping the whole donut in the glaze.
12. Then add the heart snouts while your glaze is still wet! Cut fruit leather into hearts, use a toothpick to poke two nostril holes, and press the snout onto your donut where you want the nose to be
13. Use a toothpick dipped in melted Lily’s chocolate to add the eyes. Now you are ready to pass these little cuties out as Valentines, or enjoy them all for yourself!