How often do you think about your kidneys? This March, during National Kidney Month, we encourage you to give some thought to your kidney health. After all, kidney disease is a potential risk for 1 out of every 3 Americans.
Your kidneys are remarkable organs
Kidneys are remarkable. They are your blood's cleaning system. They filter the waste out of 200 liters of blood each day. They balance your body's salt, potassium, acid content, and fluid levels. They also activate Vitamin D to promote strong bones!
Facts about kidney disease
While more than 26 million Americans have kidney disease due to diabetes, high blood pressure, or a family history of kidney failure, many don't know it. In America, kidney disease is the 9th leading cause of death, but it often has no obvious symptoms. Early detection is important, so ask your doctor if you can get tested for kidney disease during your annual physical with a urine or blood test.
Maintain healthy kidneys
Prevention is the best cure, and there are simple steps you can take to prevent or lower your risk of kidney disease.
- Stay hydrated. You kidneys need hydration to work properly as they filter out waste through your urine.
- Eat a healthy, balanced, and mindful diet. Eat foods containing antioxidants that promote kidney health. Examples of kidney "superfoods" include red bell peppers, cabbage, cauliflower, garlic, berries, and egg whites.
- Lower the salt in your diet. Sodium increases blood pressure, and high blood pressure damages your kidneys.
- Control your blood sugar. Diabetes is a major contributor to kidney disease because it damages the blood vessels in your body which prevents your kidneys from working properly.
- Live a healthy life. That means maintaining a healthy weight, no smoking, plenty of exercise, and drinking alcohol in moderation!
Zevia is proud to be kidney friendly. Our beverages contain no phosphate, potassium, or calcium additives. Stevia sweetened with no artificial preservatives or sweeteners, and containing no caramel color or artificial colors, Zevia products are created with the cleanest possible ingredients. Take care of your kidneys this month and every month.