Dr. Zevia Beet Red Velvet Cupcakes
These Beet Red Velvet Cupcakes from My Diary of Us are the cleanest way to have your (cup)cake and eat it too! With no added sugar, no artificial coloring, you can enjoy a fluffy and sweet dessert with 0 guilt. Bonus: you can opt to make it vegan too!
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine and whisk the flours, cacao, baking powder, and salt.
- Puree steamed beats until smooth.
- In another large mixing bowl, combine and whisk stevia, eggs and egg whites, vanilla, beet puree (save 1 tbsp), oil, and coffee.
- Gently fold dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Stir until combined.
- Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners and fill halfway with the cupcake batter.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until done or toothpick test comes out clean. Let cool completely
- When cupcakes are completely cooled, make the frosting by removing the solid cream on top of the chilled coconut milk.
- Add the solid cream to a chilled stand mixer bowl and beat on medium speed until smooth.
- Add in vanilla and stevia, and mix to combine one more time.
- Store frosting in fridge until ready for use. Stir 1 tbsp of beet puree and swirl it in to create a light pink swirl throughout the icing.
- Top each cupcake with a little icing and serve immediately or store in the refrigerator until ready to eat.
Red Velvet Cupcakes
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- stevia equivalent to 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 1/2 cups of steamed and peeled beets + 1 tbsp (about 2 medium sized beets)
- 3/4 cup Dr. Zevia
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3 tbsp cacao
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 2 eggs (to make vegan, sub flax eggs)
- 1 egg white
- 1 tbsp cooled brewed coffee
- 2 cans of full fat coconut milk (chilled in the refrigerator overnight)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- liquid stevia to equal 1/4 cup of sugar