Vanilla Blueberry Pie
Sugar-free pie to celebrate Pi Day? What could be better? Thanks to Luxe and the Lady, this Vanilla Blueberry Pie made with Zevia Cream Soda is bursting with flavor without any of the guilt or junk that comes with store-bought pie.
Yields: 1 pie
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Unfold 1 pie crust and roll it out to about 12 inches. Press firmly into the bottom and sides of your pie dish.
- Split the vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape the seeds out. Add the bean to a medium size mixing bowl along with the Zevia, arrowroot starch, stevia, and lemon juice. Gently stir in the blueberries to evenly coat them with the mixture.
- Pour the pie filling into your prepared pie dish. Cut the butter into cubes and sprinkle over the blueberries.
- Roll a second pie crust out to 12 inches. Cut 30 thin strips from the dough using a pastry cutter.
- Optional step: Create a fishtail braid by taking 5 strands of dough and splitting the strands into 2 on one end and 3 on the other end. On one side with 3 strands, take the outermost strand of dough and fold it over the inner 2 strands. Repeat this process on the other side until you reach the end of the braid. Gently squeeze the end of the braid together. Create 5 more braids.
- Alternatively, create strands of dough to layer around the outer 1/3 of the pie.
- Fold the edge of the bottom pie crust over the blueberries, brushing the edges with the beaten egg. Add the braids or the strands of dough. Slightly overlap 3 to form each circle.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, loosely covering with foil. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for another 20-30 minutes until the blueberry filling is bubbling with a golden brown crust.
- While the pie is baking, make the numbers. Roll the third piece of dough out to 12 inches. Use cookie cutters or templates to cut the 3.14 and pi symbol. Depending on your sizes, we used 7 sets of 3.14 and 1 pi symbol with the piping tip for the decimal point.
- Brush the cutouts with egg wash, and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 8-10 minutes until golden brown. Arrange the cutouts as desired. We added ground cinnamon on top of the pi logo to make it pop. Enjoy!
- 9 inch pie pan
- 3 9-inch rounds of the pie crust of choice
- 1/2 cup arrowroot starch
- 1 vanilla bean
- juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 3/4 cup Zevia Cream Soda
- liquid stevia equivalent to about 1 tbsp of sugar
- 5 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 beaten egg
- aluminum foil
- pastry cutter
- number cookie cutters, large round pipping tip, and/or cardstock as a template
- ground cinnamon