Zevia Cherry Cola Pie
Cherry pie is as classic of a dessert as you can get. While we love us this old fashioned fruity dessert, we could definitely do without the sugar - so we did! Thanks to Luxe and the Lady, we're whipping up a healthier spin on a cherry pie made with Zevia Cherry Cola. Bon appetit!
- Preheat your oven to 400°F. Unfold 1 piecrust, roll out to about a 12-inch circle, and press it firmly into the bottom and up the sides of the pie dish.
- Cook down the cherries and Zevia Cherry Cola in a medium saucepan over medium heat for about 15 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat, stir in the vanilla extract and arrowroot flour, and reheat for a few minutes until mixture thickens. Set aside and let cool.
- Roll the second piece of dough into a 12-inch circle and cut stars out with the cookie cutter.
- Pour the cooled pie filling in the prepared pie dish. Cut the cold butter into cubes and sprinkle over top.
- Add the star cutouts to the bottom piecrust, using a little bit of water to get them to stick.
- Beat the egg and tbsp of cold water to make an egg wash. Brush it over all exposed edges of the crust and star cutouts.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and loosely cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, cut the middle out of the foil so it only covers the crust. Bake for another 20-30 minutes until cherry filling is bubbling and crust is golden brown. For crispier crust, remove the foil for the last 10-15 minutes.
- Any leftover pie crust can be baked separately to cover gaps on the finished pie. Just arrange them on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, brush with egg wash, and bake for 8-10 minutes. Enjoy!
- 9-inch pie pan
- 2 9-inch rounds of your favorite piecrust
- 4 1/2 cups fresh cherries (pitted and stems removed)
- 1 can Zevia Cherry Cola
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3-5 drops of liquid stevia extract (optional, to taste)
- 3 tbsp arrowroot flour
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 tbsp cold water
- aluminum foil
- star cookie cutters (various sizes)